At Saline Optometry and Chelsea Eyeglass Co, we have provided our patients with eye disease management services for many years. We are here to provide both acute and preventative services to the people of the local area. Read on to learn more about some common eye diseases and how we treat them.
Common Eye Diseases
At Saline Optometry and Chelsea Eyeglass Co, there are a number of common eye diseases that we see on a regular basis, including:
- Cataracts: Over time, people may develop something called cataracts. Cataracts appear as dense, opaque obstructions that cover the lenses of the eyes. As a result, people may start to complain of cloudy vision. Cataracts are ultimately only removable through surgery. This can provide someone with an almost instant improvement in his or her vision, but is often as last resort, as cataracts can be present in a person's eyes for years before they become a problem.
- Glaucoma: Glaucoma is a serious eye disease that we see on a regular basis. With Glaucoma, patients suffer from damage to their optic nerve, often caused by a change in ocular pressure within the eye. If this damage to the optic nerve is not addressed quickly, it could rob someone of their vision. For this reason, at Erie Optical, we check ocular pressures at preventative visits.
- Macular Degeneration: Over time, people's eyes deteriorate. This is why many people refer to macular degeneration as a disease of aging. In this eye disease, the center of the visual field is the part that suffers. This part of vision is powered by the macula. When the macula starts to degenerate, people have problems with their central vision. While there is no cure for macular degeneration, there are many steps our team can supply you with to slow down the progression of the disease.
- Diabetic Retinopathy: Perhaps no condition is rising more rapidly in frequency than diabetic retinopathy. With this disease, high glucose levels damage the nerves and blood vessels that supply the eyes. As a result, people start to have trouble seeing. This condition is managed best by both an eye doctor and a trained endocrinologist.
- Dry Eye Syndrome: This condition can be very frustrating for someone to deal with. Those who have dry eye often feel like there is sand in their eyes at all times. We can prescribe eye drops and oral medications that can help someone manage these symptoms.
Trust Us for Your Ocular Health Needs
Call Saline Optometry or Chelsea Eyeglass Co today for more information or to schedule an appointment with our eye doctor.